Friday 22 November 2013

Lantern Cafe, almost done...

The Lantern Caff got a few hours spent on it today just for a break in car work and here it is.  Tiles from cartridge paper, with a few split and broken ones, even a couple of broken pieces slipped down the roof. The ridge tiling changes with the wooden extension, as will the character of the slates when I'm done with them.
Some weathering done to the slates, but more individual colouring yet to do.  Mortar is brushed into the bricks, but doesn't show.  The woodwork is done in a washed out pale blue.  I like that colour along with pale greens too. I remember them being used on various wooden buildings of my childhood, so faded they were almost chalky in their deadness.  Lintels and cill are treated as concrete.

I would love to point out more, but it's hardly worth it when I just can't get a decent close up picture. I've just got this camera and it takes great daylight pictures, but close up is shit!  Macro, rest it on something, put a couple of lamps on, blah, blah. I really am sick of this digital crap not working. This is the first time today the internet has worked, too.
When I had a proper camera it showed me if the damned film would be blurred. Digis always show a pretty picture in the screen on the back, then put it up like a blurred dollop on the PC.
So, this was the only shot worth a toss and likely to be the last until someone who can be bothered with all this binary crap can explain to me how to make it work.

1 comment:

  1. Aha! The painting stage! You are making a superb job of it. I, too, like faded colours and am particularly fond of faded blues and greens. What sort of digital camera have you got, Martin? I find with mine, it is very much trial and error, and have only recently got the hang of it, although it takes good photos underground...tsk. Might be your quality settings on the camera ...try for something like a 14mb file in the menu and "super fine" quality...also a low ASA like 80 will help stamp out the artefacts that creep in in low light....although it does mean that you have to light it well.

    ReplyDelete