Monday, 15 September 2014

Peeling paint, Mk 2...

I've now tried the next attempt at peeling paint using white spirit on the bare wood, then Vallejo.

I think Vallejo might be too good a paint, or maybe I didn't let it dry enough, but I think a little too much paint came off, although I still like the effect, especially once I've distressed the lower parts of the boards.

Still experimenting!


  1. I opened the photo up to have a better is certainly promising and worthy of further experimentation. I think perhaps the colour doesn't do it any favours but I do like the random patches ...keep experimenting, I am about to filch the whole idea :-)

  2. I took it at night, under spotlamp light, Iain and the colour of the pear has come out a little orange. I'm hoping the alcohol/Indian ink mix which the Americans use so much will deaden the colour a little, first.
    My Floridian chum is playing with rubber glue (yet another method, my brain hurts!) And I might have another go with the Maskol, which I'm assuming works like rubber glue. I've also seen it done with hairspray, but can't see how that would work as it goes down as little spots. How do people come up with all this stuff? But, f it works, please do filch away, mate. That's what we're here for.

  3. Rubber glue works as an effective alternative to Maskol for normal masking purposes as well. The other common technique uses salt crystals as a masking medium.

  4. James,
    my American chum has found rubber glue difficult to find and the thinners more so, but I think he has now sourced them on ebay. He will run trials on them. I'm fairly happy with the Maskol, picked off with sharp tweezers. I need to trial a bigger piece of work with it and a better brush.
    I believe salt crystals are used to provide patch masking for rust. Dots of rust mainly. Very effective for metal subjects. I haven't got round to that yet! But I will.