Sunday 12 November 2017

Frank Lloyd Wright built canal yard huts?...

I'm sure all you intelligent, well read souls know that the American architect of mainly big posh houses, Frank Lloyd Wright was known for a couple which had the mountain as the back wall.
Imagine my amazement, when I saw this on the 'net:-
Whoever put it up, thanks.

Lantern Yard has a rock formation at its back edge and I wondered if there might be a chance of building into the rock for a Yard Office to go with a new workshop.  I never thought for a moment there really was one!
I put this up on a forum and was told all about copyright crap...AGAIN!  So, because I can't be arsed with these turds anymore I deleted it. No bugger was interested anyway, but then, no bugger's interested with what's on here either!  I don't care. I don't give a toss about locos, kits, playing trains, all that stuff. It's just showing off by people with fat pensions.
Anyway, I liked it so much I made it.  OK, I had to trim the roof back a bit, which is a shame, but the larger wagons would be rather close to it. I might be able to extend what I've done a bit. As you can see, the roof's a mess anyway.  My version has to be a bit degraded to be real-looking.  I'm assuming the extra corrugated where it's a bit saggy is over an afterthought of a small privy for the Yard Manager.  Just the gutter to make and fit now.
The enamel paints are mainly in the office of a primer, as the gouache or acrylics I detail with don't stick well to the neat Foamex.  The roof is hand pressed aluminium foil from Chinese takeaway tubs, which can be bought in piles, cheap from supermarkets.  I press them with a modified coffee stirrer in a "mould" I made of styrene rod. It makes a single, scale sized sheet of corrugated tin.  Here, they have been assembled and trimmed to fit the rock behind as have the Foamex end walls.
The Foamex has been impressed with the back of  scalpel blade and a thick steel rule.  Corners are mitred so the blocks can appear to be going round the bend, as am I.  The blocks are scale 440x 225x 100Napoleons.
Window frame is to represent an old Crittal steel framed job with opening lights in the middle and is made of Plastikard Microstrip.  Do they still call it that?  To go with the steel window, I've used more ally foil bent into an L shape for the cill.
I think the difficult part will be getting a grubby white finish, bearing in mind there was no brilliant white before PEP came on the market.  So I have to make this off white whitewash, gone grubby.  Wish me luck.  
I really am becoming Mr. Hut.  My neighbour when I was growing up really was called Mr. Hutt!

2 comments:

  1. Here in NZ we have two towns near our city of Wellington, one is called Upper Hutt and the other is called lower Hutt.
    The Wellington area is rather hilly.
    Huts and Hutts are cool.

    ReplyDelete