Now, people seem to think that Audi can't put a foot wrong, but this one ran for just 12 kilometres, before being put in a museum. The other three were destroyed!
It's a Group S prototype, whatever that means in rally-speak. Rear engined, presumably highly turbocharged.
I was commissioned to make a master for SRGB's rapidly increasing portfolio, for which I have made all the masters so far.
The only info was a pretty good die-cast by Spark in 1/43rd scale, so I scaled that up to 1/32nd scale and off we went. Usual story of carve from solid Ureol block and get a slush moulding to give me a hollow master which could be regularised in thickness by grinding out and filling with Milliput.
Ugly little devil, isn't it, but a shape's a shape, so out with the chisels.
I bandsaw the basic shape from the block of Ureol, then start on one side. When I'm happy with that, I repeat the shape on the right hand side.
The very difficult slightly concave shape in front of the big vents was done by using a chisel I made from a worn out Swiss file. I have lots of different shapes and sizes and they give wonderful control of shapes. Keep them sharp and they will take off very slight amounts of material.
And so on until we get to this:-
Mounted on a fairly chopped down Scalextric sidewinder chassis, we have the facility for a full interior, including driver and navigator with actual feet! normally slot car drivers have little below the knees.
Don't worry, the head is now on the driver!
With the rear wing done in brass (you can't easily bend plastic) and the supports and end plates done in styrene, the model is done and we can get on with the next project which is, wait for it.....A 1/24th scale model of the car from the Gerry Anderson series, UFO! I must be mad.
Or my customers must be!