Thursday 19 April 2018

Look what I found in Dadddy's garage......



When I look at most videos of old cars it is quite obvious that the average age of the owners/drivers/attendant viewers means they are set to croak in no more than 15-20 years, leaving the cars/boats/aircraft/motorcycles where exactly?

One exception seems to be the Chain Gang.  That collection of reprobates who populate the Frazer-Nash club, mainly the owners of the Chain driven cars, along with their mates in the Morgan club and the other chain driven oddball clubs.
These seem to have as many young strutters as old farts. Even the old farts seem to have some extra life from somewhere.
The big question is will the Ollies and Justins of the world be real enthusiasts?  Will they be prepared, halfway up the Stelvio, to take the left cylinder off their J.A.P. KTOR V twin to see what that mystery knock is?  Could they improvise a repair?  Will they keep the club going?  Well, since anyone with a 'Nash nowadays needs to be stinking rich they will probably know enough of their public school chums and Uni. muckers to keep those all-nighters going at the Club dinners and, even if it is by a newer tradition than most of us can come close to, financially, at least, keep one club's long traditions going.
As to the rest of the clubs, those with few if any such traditions, I fear the cars will just be put away and forgotten about.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, but I wouldn't know one browser from another. I went with Chrome on the recommendation of my son who seems to know a lot more than I about such things. I didn't think anyone used IE any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but
    after going through some of the articles I realized it's new
    to me. Nonetheless, I'm certainly pleased I stumbled upon it
    and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read it, enjoyed it, thought about it...the stinking rich theme seems to run world wide

    ReplyDelete
  4. That can conceivably change, John, but age gets everyone. When the last old over-pensioned bank manager has shuffled off his mortal ledger and his grandson can't be arsed to maintain the funny old car in his garage, it'll be the Frazer-Nashes that survive as far as I can see as they do seem to have a few youngsters which the right attitude. But it's a big price to pay.

    ReplyDelete