So, I thought, what's so difficult about rolling 6mm of it over a bit of wire? Well, erm, nothing, it turns out. Look.....
I will, when I can find a bar of Simple Soap, try this annealing lark. It seems to help, but I don't see it getting done noticeably better than this. This took me maybe 20 minutes, after I'd chopped this little chunk off.
I mean, considering that I just had a sudden whim to try something I'd never done before and got on with it, with possibly less than suitable tools and, with little time, less than complete care. I didn't have any steel wire, but I did have some 2mm ally Tig wire, so I used that. Seems more sensible to put ally in ally. I never liked the idea of steel in ally anyway. Recipe for terminal rot.
Another ten minutes with a thumb full of 240 emery and there we are. I don't see any cracks, but maybe, doing a whole mudguard, I might have changed my mind and decided that easy beats falsely lazy:-)