Tuesday 28 November 2017

Pull up a chair...

When I became acquainted first with the Festiniog Railway (old spelling) I just accepted what I saw.  It wasn't until later that I realised one of the reasons the FR looked so grown up and proper was that the track used Bullhead rail in proper chairs.  All the others (except the Penrhyn, which had already gone) used flat bottom rail spiked, with or without flat plates for the rail to sit on.
So, now that I find myself with some old GEM kits from the period when I first saw the railway, in the distinctive 5.5mm -1 ft. scale, I need to display them on a bit of correct track in a scenic set-piece.
So....I had to make brass masters of the two kinds of chairs the FR used, so my local chum can cast some up for me.  Very little is made in 5.5 mm scale.

The two types were S shaped and slightly smaller, rectangular, both 2 bolt.
They slide on some of the excellent Peco Code 75 rail and hold it well.
Someone suggested the railway had got rid of most by the 1880s, but a quick look on the 'net scotches that assertion!  I will NOT model the FR with modern flat bottomed rail with either spikes or Pandrol clips. It's hideous.  Bad enough that I have to use FB rail on the Southwold set-piece, but there I have no option, but on the FR?  Not a chance.  It's why, despite my liking for Tom Rolt, I would never model the Talyllyn. All spiked track...Yuch!!

See what I mean?...Proper track on the FR.  This the bit I'll probably model.  Known as Pen Cob . It's the end of the cob...a mile of embankment from the Harbour Station at Porthmadog. In front there is Boston Lodge, the company Works.  I used to wander round there at will in the 60s. Now, you can't get near it due to H&S Nazis.


No comments:

Post a Comment